Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Logo: Great Hall Catering at Western


F.Q.A.s on    General   |   The Great Hall, Somerville House   |   On-Campus Catering
How do I place a catering order and who should I speak to?

You can use our convenient Online Ordering Website or email us at Should you require any consultation or assistance with placing your order, please feel free to call our office at 519.661.3048 or Ext. 83048 if you are calling from on campus; anyone of our administrative team would be happy to assist you.

Do you do any catering outside of the city?

Yes, please contact us at with the details of your event and we can customize a quote to meet your needs.

Do you have a hall to rent?

Yes, we have a wide range of facilities for catered events available here at Western that accommodate every need. Please contact us at to book any of these venues.

Can we bring our own caterer and run our own bar?

No, Great Hall Catering is the campus caterer and holds the Liquor License for these venues.

F.Q.A.s on    General   |   The Great Hall, Somerville House   |   On-Campus Catering
The Great Hall, Somerville House
What is the capacity of the Great Hall?

The Great Hall can accommodate 430 seated guests, or 350 with a dance floor.

Is there parking available near the Great Hall, Somerville House?

Convenient parking is just steps away at the Weldon parking lot, located between the Law School and the Weldon Library, directly across from Somerville House. More parking details can be found at

Is parking free?

Yes, parking is free when you are hosting an event in the Great Hall (Room 3326, Somerville House) although some restrictions may apply (i.e. weekdays during the academic year, may not be available).

Is the Great Hall wheelchair accessible?

Yes. There are posted signs to guide you.

Does the Room Rental charge include the food?

No. Food charges are a separate cost.

If we book our event in the Great Hall, can we supply our own beverages, alcoholic and non-alcoholic?

No, all beverages service must be provided by Great Hall Catering. Our pricing is very competitive and preferred brands of beer and wine can be arranged (some restrictions may apply). Wedding events can supply their own wine for dinner service only. They must present a special occasion permit obtained from the L.C.B.O. There is a wine service charge of $14.00 per bottle, charges are based on consumption. See our Menu Guide for more information on the special occasion permit.

F.Q.A.s on    General   |   The Great Hall, Somerville House   |   On-Campus Catering
On-Campus Catering
Does Great Hall Catering have keys to the room around campus?

No, unfortunately Great Hall Catering does not have master keys to any of the buildings on campus. It is the responsibility of the client to arrange for the room to be unlocked 15 minutes prior to the delivery time, which ensures that the order can be set-up on time for your event. Further, on weekends, it is also the responsibility of the client to arrange that the buildings themselves are unlocked.

Is the time on my contract, the time that you arrive or the time you setup?

The start time indicated on your contract is the time your catering event will be setup and ready. We allow for all travel time and setup time necessary to have your order delivered at the time requested on your contract. We cannot, however, guarantee specific arrival times as we are often delivering multiple orders at one time.

Does catering provide the tables?

No, we can advise the client on how many tables may be required especially for larger orders, but this must be arranged prior to the event. And no, we cannot leave our carts to be used as tables for set-up. Please contact the department that you booked the space for your event with, or Facilities Management, to arrange the tables required.

Am I responsible for the catering equipment?

Yes, as stated in your Requirement Report, "All equipment is the property of Great Hall Catering and is the responsibility of the client. Any missing or damaged equipment will result in additional charges at current market value". If the equipment is moved to another location, please notify our main office at 519.661.3048 or and we will gladly come and pick up. Outside of regular office hours, please contact our kitchen at 519.661.2111 ext. 82129 should you need to speak to someone regarding your order.

Western Community Events

For members of the Western Community to reserve the Great Hall (Room 3326, Somerville House), they are required to contact prior to contacting Great Hall Catering. Once you have secured the reservation, please contact us at 519.661.3048 or to discuss the details of your event.

F.Q.A.s on    General   |   The Great Hall, Somerville House   |   On-Campus Catering